Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The "Other" Me

The blog is BACK… or so I attempt to promise, and therefore deliver. Where have I been? Besides living, I’ve been pretty busy being what I like to now dub the “E Triad”: wife & mom | researcher | “other” (which includes everything else, like “person who works out” and “person who shops for groceries” and “person who occasionally talks on phone to friends and family”). Also add to other: “person who blogs.” I’ve been neglecting my other, so to speak and letting my blog go fallow. But I have a lot to report, mostly on Gracie as well as other caffeine-inspired manic word-binges, so stay tuned…

In the meantime, let me pontificate on the need to be an “other.” Where oh where did extracurricular Erin go? I was just reflecting, today, on my abandonment of all things crafty. Not that I was ever talented as a crafster, but I did have a level of dash and daring when it came to the home arts; if you’re reading this, you may know about my epic wedding-favor jam-making expedition, or my many attempts at knitting baby hats and adult scarves. Or my PaperSource stationery kits.

Ah, memories. Don’t worry, I haven’t been so bold as to throw out the boxes of college and high school t-shirts I’ve saved for the some-day t-shirt quilt I intend to make, and yes, I still have drawers full of stickers, rubber stamps, and various kinds of glitter, even multiple shades of sealing wax. But these items are growing dusty, because there is no time, and I must admit, zero interest. I suppose I thought I would be a crafty mom. Yes, maybe there’s time, but maybe part of me just realized that it’s okay to totally veg out when watching TV; one doesn’t always have to be gluing something together. Or maybe I’m just too exhausted to care. Yes, I think creative outlets are so important, for everyone, but I don’t know that all of my former life craftiness was always so creative. Sometimes, it was just obsessive.

Or maybe I just have too much laundry to fold when Glee is on! Speaking of which, I have some serious couch-sitting to do…

Cheers!
~e

3 comments:

  1. Who is this "person who works out" of whom you speak? I'm intrigued! My friend, I am with you. I plan to return to all of that in about 17 years. Meet me in Wburg for a wreath-making class then, won't you?
    So glad you're back at it with the blog. I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Doesn't every Mom see herself in your blog post! The crafting and the jam making (for me it was bread) and the other stuff filled the creative time that you now spend with Grace. Believe me, I have tons more fantastic memories of times spent with my daughter than I do with any bread memories. LOL Being a Mom, wife, a full-time employee and a person is exhausting -- that's a fact. But the return on your investment is priceless and one that keeps on giving and giving. I have a smart, funny, kind, beautiful 28 year old daughter to prove it.
    As with any worthwhile investment, it takes time to see the returns. But you're already seeing that little by little every day with Grace. Enjoy, you wonderful Mom, you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know time is scarce but i have a very strong feeling that the crafty erin who made her own jam (for ALL her wedding guests) will not be thwarted for long. As soon as Grace is big enough to help sanitize mason jars you'll back at it plus probably 5-10 new tricks. My money is something with stamps. Toddlers LOVE stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete