Sunday, July 10, 2011

I think I'm going to fire my equipment manager/ safety inspector/ industrial hygenist... oh wait, that would be me.

I am exhausted... becoming a parent entails all sorts of equipment decisions and equipment maintenance. Yes, yes, as us newbies are repeatedly reminded by veterans (which is an extremely relative distinction), babies don't come with manuals. The problem is, every stinking contraption that comes with being a parent does have a manual, and if you were to stack them all cover to cover, you'd have an impressive tower of Manualese. A dusty, seldom if ever visited, library of Manualese. I am of the generation of wifi, as well, so along with recycling all of the boxes and Amazon boxes that my plastic fantastic world now comes in, out go most of the manuals and extraneous paperwork with the recycling (or we would be featured in the show Hoarders). Yes, I don't read all the manuals; fortunately, the exhaustion overcomes the guilt. But in my activity budget*, I fail to account for two things: (1) that in addition to counters and floors, the many pieces of "equipment" (think everything from toys to crib to diaper genie to high chair to car seat to... picture gotten?) need either maintenance (batteries, adjustment, linens changed) or cleaning, and (2) that my daughter is growing, all the time, and will need new things or have things sized for her.

Sometimes I think that if you were to follow all the rules, be babywise, expecting what you're supposed expect, and have the happiest baby on the block, you'd need a jobshare just to be a stay at home parent (i.e. two people staying at home!). So you can't, of course, and you cut corners where you can, some here, some there, and you learn to drown out the judgy judgsters (mostly in your head, but clearly not always!). I often say that becoming a parent has made me more empathic, rather than more judgmental, because I am now confronted with the hardest job I could ever imagine and some days it feels like I am either a pin ball or a cat toy and I know all other parents feel the way I do. I may not let G watch TV (go me) but I did let her fall out the stroller. I may have an organic mattress (!!), but it's likely that a toy or two of hers were made in China. Point is, if I'm mentally pointing the finger at someone else, they could point it right back at me. I'm not saying I don't have values or standards, of course I do, but I feel a whole lot warmer to everyone, young and old, parent and not, because most of the time, we're all just doing the best we can.

Tonight I finally figured out how to adjust the car seat straps (make them go through the next slit up!). Probably should have done that a few weeks ago; G has been looking a bit hunched. I guess my jobshare forgot. That's okay; no judgment.

*Tip of the hat to my old animal behavior days... how we measure animals in the wild in their time between behavior states. I secretly would love it if someone would, without my knowing, observe me in the wild and report back to me how I spend my time. I'm sure it would be shocking at first, then very dull.

3 comments:

  1. Dear, dear Erin,
    You are waaaay too hard on yourself! BTW: MOST new Moms are! Take a tip from me and do what feels best for you and G -- not what the manuals tell you do. What works for your family will be totally different from what works for others. By the looks of the pictures you're posting, Grace looks like she's thriving (and surviving!) beautifully.
    No PC toy or gadget or contraption can substitute for the love and care that you give her every single day! So throw out the books and just enjoy her! She'll let you know if you're off the track. And P.S. a few days of "hunching" didn't hurt her a bit!
    xo,
    Jean M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean~
    Thanks for your vote of confidence! Did not mean to come across as self-deprecating; this was meant as more of a commentary on the unrealistic expectations we collectively place on (good) parenting these days. And yes, most of the parenting books I was reading have been replaced by books on my iPhone.
    Hope you're well and I'm touched that you read my blog!
    xoxo Backatcha,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me totally laughing at the thought of someone observing me and my routines and how interesting and (crazy) dull it would be!

    ReplyDelete