Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grace


"Grace, it’s a name for a girl… and a thought that, changed the world."

-U2





It’s so fitting that we named our daughter after a state of being that I so often aspire to and yet can’t quite reach. Whether I’m tripping over my feet, our cat, or my words, I am so far from that. Grace seems to know something, a secret, about the world that I hope she keeps and spills at the same time. She takes such pleasure, such joy out of all of her moments, and her bouts of sorrow are short (though often very dramatic). The U2 song I quoted above goes on to say, “Grace makes beauty, out of ugly things.” I love this simple image, because it is such a message of hope for a tired parent, a frustrating traffic jam, even an unpleasant interaction with another. If we could all just take pause and allow the ugly to happen and then just let it go, surrender and just let it wash over us and away, and then embody, just for a moment, grace… then the afterwards is just so sweet, and so beautiful.



This is what my daughter teaches me. All of the moments are special, even the tough ones, with grace in my heart and Grace in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment