Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Tiny Human


Motherhood is kicking my ass. There; I said it. I’m actually typing this when I should be in bed, between my new baby and my concerned husband - he’s genuinely and rightly worried about the impact prolonged bouts of broken sleep might have on his already slightly manic wife. But I need to get these words out before I forget them again; I now inhabit one of two spaces; the stupor of the sleep-deprived, or the acumen of the adrenaline-pumped newly parented. In the former, I can barely remember my name; in the latter, I could’ve written my dissertation in a week.

In this rare moment of lucidity, however, I raced downstairs to type some thoughts into my blog... only to be interrupted by my tiny human (soonafter said tiny human vomited all over herself, me, and our brest friend). So I am now finishing this day after, and I can’t remember what I was going to say.

One thing I will say, though, is I think my baby sometimes switches places with another baby... one who likes to trick me into thinking she wants to eat when really she wants to sleep, or has me go through 3 diapers in a single change... but both babies are so cute I don’t mind guessing!

Which baby are you going to be today, Gracie?

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Erin! You are doing an Amazing Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great:) I can promise you it DOES get more manageable...though I still have lost the ability to use nouns and my kids are almost 2 and 4! Simple things like "Hey Matt, can you hand me the thingy out of the place over there?" I feel as if someone has taken part of my brain...which of course gets magnified when you're sleep deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing awesome!! I totally totally get it...and the thing is, before I had kids, I never understood why you don't hear from someone for a few weeks. Now. I get it. AND I don't call someone anymore right after they have a baby =0. It's hard and sometimes you feel like you have no answers or-you don't know how to meet her needs--but, eventually, like Erika said, you figure things out and I promise, it DOES get easier!!!

    You never think you'll sleep longer than 4-5 hours..but then slowly it's 5 hours, then six....and you start to feel normal again!!

    Hugs, you both are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Yes, we're doing fine but I just want to record these thoughts and recognitions... this time moves so fast!

    ReplyDelete