Saturday, January 18, 2014

Rage monsters

I wrote this message to a dear friend after reading the following blog post on parental rage, that taboo topic that is such a big and normal part of parenting that so many of us struggle with. I'm including my message here because I want to share aspects of my own emotional journey through motherhood.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hi Friend,
So, you know how some people post status updates on Facebook like, "hey, I made it to my 5am spin class!" or some other super-awesome thing they did that most people would recognize as being an accomplishment?
I so wish I could post this:

"Hey Facebook! You know what I did this morning? I let love win!!

I held my SHIT together while I... carried my totally bundled/well-protected-from-
the-cold 3 yo in from the car parked a whopping 30 feet from the front door of daycare while pushing a carseat stroller carrying similarly bundled 4 month old WHILE said 3yo was screaming (no: caterwauling), hitting me in the FACE and under the concerned stare of about 10 other parents.

You hear me, Facebook? I held my SHIT TOGETHER. I didn't yell, didn't cry, didn't grit my teeth, didn't drop my 3 yo and make her walk or die of hypothermia on the sidewalk, didn't say something snarky to her, didn't cry myself or... [beat] hit her back! 

And this is AFTER I woke up to feed a fussy/hungry baby at 12, 2, 4, and 6, AFTER I endured a 7am meltdown from aforementioned 3 yo because I wasn't Daddy, AFTER I showered/blow-dried, and put lots of make up and heels on because it's picture day at work, AFTER I packed the car with about 5 bags, AFTER I tended to 3 requests for different breakfasts, AFTER I remote-start warmed the car in preparation for a freezing-cold-related meltdown, AFTER we watched an episode of Doc McStuffins so as not to disrupt the morning too much (even though it makes me so late), AFTER I nursed an infant again at 8, AFTER I  made myself coffee only to let it chill on the counter, AFTER I packed second breakfast for school, AFTER I got two little people dressed in cold-weather, semi-reasonable looking outfits, AFTER I strapped a baby who hates car seats into a car seat, AFTER I tried the "frozen bubble experiment" with the 3yo in the courtyard before getting into school.

BOOM."


None of that shite matters... what matters is, why I am NOT crying at my desk this morning, is that I accepted the tantrum, and I didn't blame her for it. I took an extra 10 minutes with her and helped her calm down, read her a book, helped her remember that she is okay, she is safe, and she is loved.


I know this sounds obnoxious, even sanctimonious, but it's only coming from a sacred place of recognition. These kind of moments are the HARDEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE. Because that's when I encounter the RAGE MONSTER, the monster that makes me forget that I love this tiny human, this sweet, sensitive, old-soul who was placed under my charge. I feel the venom, and I want to spit. I hear the blood pounding in my head and I want to SCREAM. I feel the tremors, and I want to shake something, or even someone. I may never get it let that far, but I don't want this rage monster in my neighborhood, let alone inside my body. And the monster sometimes comes just a little too close to taking over, leaving me terrified and deeply ashamed. 


But not today, Friend, not today. Today, love won.
 
There's no greater accomplishment I have ever experienced then letting love take over. 
 
I don't think I can make the rage monster disappear, but I will continue to fight it. This will be my fight - perhaps the hardest fight I encounter as a parent. I will fight.  I will fight for love.
 
And that will be greater than any work success, any hard work-out, and even greater than anything I produce, manage, or even create.


In love, understanding, and solidarity,
E


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

1 comment:

  1. So brave. And so completely admirable to share in solidarity with other mothers. We all know this feeling. Oh my goodness do I call the name of Jesus 30 minutes into my morning and then the rest of the day long, most every dang day. This is hard, parenthood is the real deal.

    And anyone who reads this post should remember that these blog posts are the words of an Ironman/mother/PhD. That even *she* has the urge to grit her teeth. That rage tries to do *her* in, too.

    Oh my gosh, what a hug that is to me!
    It helps me to know that even you find this thing hard, it really does!!

    ReplyDelete