Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I wish 30 days hath May...


Or less! M is off to Pittsburgh this month for a rotation at Mercy Hospital, so it's just us girls at the house. We're having a lovely time, but we miss Daddy. He'll be home on the weekends, so we just have to tough it out.

I've often heard and read about the fears that some couples have that having a child will change your relationship. Presumably the fear is of drifting apart or losing romance in the constant upheaval of raising a child. Although I suppose I can understand this fear, the fact that people forego having children over it has saddened me. In my opinion, of course having a child changes your relationship; but if there was any way to deepen my love for my partner, it would be to watch him become a parent and to watch him fall in love (and fall hard) with this tiny little human that I am also so in love with. To have someone to share in all the triumph, heartache, and overwhelming oblivion of becoming a parent is the greatest gift I have ever received from my marriage. I of course recognize that this is my experience and my interpretation; I know that not every relationship has the same goals or investment. I am sad for those that do not, however.
So yes, my relationship is changed; where it was once unidimensional, a continuum stretching from M to me, it is now become multidimensional, with energy stretching out in these three, intersecting directions. I love that I will get to watch M and G's relationship grow as much our own relationships grow. I love that we are a crowd, a trinity, a family.

1 comment: